Today I finally had time to brew another grain/malt extract beer. Since the summer is starting, I want to try and improve my skills with light coloured beer.
- 3 kg (6.5 lbs) Light Malt Extract
- 225 g (0.5 lbs) Crystal Malt
- 70 g (2.5 oz) Willamette Hop Pellets (boiling hops)
- 28 g (1 oz) Cascade Hop Pellets (finishing hops)
- American Ale yeast
- Soaked Crystal Malt Extract in approximately 4 litres of water until water boiled.
- Removed Crystal Malt Extract and added Malt Extract.
- Brought to a boil and added boiling hops.
- Boiled for 36 minutes then removed boiling hops and added finishing hops.
- Mixed with approximately 17 litres (4.5 gallons) spring water.
- Topped mixture with extra spring water to bring to approx. 22 litres.
- Temperature was approximately 29ºC (84ºF) too hot to take O.G. reading and pitch yeast so put pail outside to speed up cooling down to at least 24ºC (75ºF).
- O.G. Reading was 1.040 at 25ºC (77ºF)
- Pitched yeast.
- Primed beer with 50% dextrose and 50% light dry malt extract.
- Bottled the beer.
- F.G. Reading was 1.006 at 25ºC (77ºF) Estimated Alcohol Content: 4.8% to 5%.
- Stored beer @ 25ºC (77ºF) for 2 - 5 days before moving down to cooler cellar.
- Was too excited to wait for the beer to mature so opened two bottles, beer tasted very light and smooth.
- Overall am satisfied with this beer, but there is room for more improvement.
- Probably will move bottles down to cellar on 07.04.23.