My father specializes in making wine and a friend of his gave him a beer kit, Morgan's Royal Oak Amber Ale. I noticed it sitting on his wine counter and asked if he was planning on brewing beer. He explained that his friend gave it to him and he thought it passed his expiry date, indeed it was one already two months past the expiration date. I believe the expiry date is only for those who are too fussy and believe there is an expiry date for everything.
I proceed and collected the necessary ingredients to brew that kit.
The recipe I used to brew this kit is:
- Morgan's Royal Oak Amber Ale (Malted Barley, Hop Extract)
- 1 kg (2.2 lbs) John Bull Hi-Malt Glucose Syrup
- 15 g Cooper Yeast (pitched into 1/2 gallons of weak wort - 1/3 cups of dart dry malt approximately 1 hour before pitching into wort)
- Spring Water - enough to brew 22.7 litres (6 U.S. gallons)
- 50:00 - Boiled Malt Extract, Hi-Malt Glucose Syrup and 3/4 oz. Galant 11% hops.
- 20:00 - Added 1/4 oz. Galant 11% hops (for aroma).
- 00:00 - Transferred wort to fermenter.
- Original Gravity Reading - 1.030.
- Pitched in the yeast.
- Final Gravity Reading - 1.014.
- Estimated alcohol content: 2.5%