This is one of the first lighter coloured ales I am attempting to do. I have been doing a lot of dark beer so I want to try and work on my skills with lighter coloured beer.
- 3 kg (6.6 lb) Light Malt Extract
- 225 g (0.5 lb) Flaked Maize
- 2 oz. Willamette Hops Pellets
- 1 package Wyeast 1728 Scottish Yeast
- 50 g Medium Dry Malt Extract (DME) for Yeast Activation)
- 1/2 tsp. Irish Moss
- 23 litres (6 gal.) Water
- Brought 3 litres of water to a booil with Maize soaking in the water.
- Removed maize once water started boiling, added light malt extract and brought water back to a boil.
- 50 min: Boil began, added hops.
- 15 min: Added Irish Moss.
- Placed wort into glass carboy (6.5 gallon) and located carboy in basement with heat strip.
- O.G. 1.030, bailing 8, PAV 3.75%
- F.G. 1.010, bailing 5, PAV 1%, therefore alcohol volume is 2.75, but doesn't taste like it (number may be inaccurate due to variations in temperature).
- Yield 61 bottles