Friday, November 17, 2006

Bru-Mix: Hop Flavoured Malt Extract

Today I decided to bottle my Bru-Mix. I added to the original recipe 1.8 kg (3/4 cup reserved for priming during bottling) dextrose and 1/2 tsp Irish Moss during the last 11 minutes of malt boiling.

  • The Original Gravity was 1.042 and the Potential Alcohol scale read 5% on 06.10.10.
  • The Final Gravity was 1.002 and the Potential Alcohol scale read 0% on 06.11.17.
Final Alcohol content calculation: 5% - 0% = 5% Potential Alcohol Content. Will allow the bottled beer to sit for approximately seven to fourteen days to carbonate.

Initial tasting (drinking the inactive beer prior to adding priming sugar and bottling) indicated the beer would still be sweet, do not think there is a good balance of bitterness. Colour was slightly amber/yellowish. If carbonation works, may be one of my first successful pale ales (ignoring the sweetness).

Next beer to make is Muntons Premium Bitter; depending on my finances I hope to use malt crystals instead of dextrose and find a place that sells bittering hops to try and ensure a more balance between sweetness and bitterness.

1 comments:

Keith 7/23/2009 10:56 AM  

I just made my first batch and mine tasted great!

I used corn sugar and I have no problems with being too sweet.

You can taste a slight hoppy taste. I would compare the taste to a Coors Light, but with extra flavour.

About This Blog

About This Blog

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP